bidverstiser

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Anti-Spider Cocktail

Bugs are a major annoyance to me as well as a health hazard. A health hazard because sometimes my hand hurts when I smash a bug dead on any kind of hard surface, my anxiety is risen when I see one (where there is one, there's more), and they are carriers of nasty parasites, bacteria, and/or viruses. Bottom line, I truly, deeply, and utterly despise bugs. Now you're probably asking what kind of bug. Well, let me see... Spiders, ants, flies, wasps, roaches, fleas, spiders, mosquitos and spiders all the creepy crawly and flying ones (no, there isn't a typo. I did say spiders three times). However, ladybugs, caterpillars, and butterflies are cute so I like them.

So why this sudden burst of negative tone? Well since I stay at home all day everyday, I get to see the little nasty creatures creeping thru my house. Also, when my daughter is playing outside, she gets bitten and giant itchy welps develop later. Watching her suffer later itching like crazy, makes me sad so I decided to take action.

A few months ago we purchased Ortho Home Defense Max. We sprayed inside and out. It did good for a while. Then we started to see spiders again. We were hesitating on spraying again because we just didn't like the chemicals being around the kids so we sought for a more natural option. We found EcoSmart Organic Home Pest Control. Among the ingredients are oil of peppermint, cloves, rosemary and thyme. Since we were having a losing battle with bugs in the back yard we decided we would drop the bug spray on them.

After we got home from the home improvement store, I sent my husband out there armed with the bug spray. When he came back in, he was carrying an empty bug spray container and I noticed a strong smell... It was my husband! He smelled like a chai tea latte but so did the back yard. Now I love that smell but my daughter, husband and dog do not. After a few days, the smell dwindled but still no bugs.

Back inside was a different story. We believe the bugs hated the smell too and many including spiders were trekking their way into our house! I saw three spiders and that was enough. Again, trying to stay away from chemicals, I made my own anti-spider powder. Doing my own research, I found they do not like black pepper, cloves, and cinnamon. So since I had all those herbs, I combined them all, mixed and sprinkled the powder around all the door entryways, under sinks and windows. Since doing this, I have yet to see any. That's what I call a job well done!

Now, I must warn you, if you try this anti-spider powder and have ceiling fans, expect to sneeze a few times. On the up side, your house will smell like Christmas.

Until tomorrow, kindest blogging wishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment