bidverstiser

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday's Recipe: The Great Golubsky

I have always clung to my Russian heritage for several reasons. Brilliant scientists were Russian, great gymnasts were Russian (Who can forget Nadia Comaneci in the 1976 Summer Olympics. I saw a movie about her as I wasn't even born yet), and my grandfather's family was from Russia.

Now, I've been told that my grandfather's parents were exiled from Russia to the Ukraine. At some point they made it to the US and took up residence in Pennsylvania. In Pennsylvania they were coal miners and were not the wealthiest but they got by. One of the meals they ate often were Golubsky. It is cabbage leaves stuffed with beef, onion, rice, garlic and topped with tomatoes. So today's recipe is in honor of my grandfather, uncle and my dad.

I have never made this before and I haven't even eaten this since I was a kid. Since there were many recipes out there on the internet, I had to call on my aunt and my mom to help me with it. Since there wasn't exactly a recipe to use for all the measurements I just kinda guessed. Below is my version of Golubsky.

Golubsky

1 head of cabbage
1 cup uncooked rice
2 lb beef, raw
1/2 medium onion, diced,
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
1 t salt
1 t pepper
2 can rotel (diced tomatoes and chile peppers)

Parboil the cabbage whole and as the leaves get tender pull them off and set aside. Do this until all leaves are removed. In a large mixing bowl add rice, beef, onion, garlic, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix until well incorporated. Add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup beef mixture to the white veiny part then roll up like a burrito. Place them in a large pot stacking them as you go. Then when all the leaves are stuffed and rolled up, top stuffed cabbage rolls with rotel (or traditionally stewed tomatoes). Add some of the liquid from the water used to parboil the cabbage, maybe a cup or so. Place a lid tightly on top and boil for 45 minutes.

Now I naturally had to make sure they were done so I pulled one out and cut it open. It was done. Then I had to make sure it tasted good... It did! My dad used to eat them with ketchup so I had to taste it again using ketchup! It was even better! Boy did it bring back memories!

My dad didn't like these growing up and I didn't know that until yesterday. My uncle on the other hand loves them so much he had my aunt make him 150 of them. He really cracks me up!! I can now happily say my daughter and husband love them too so I have yet another dish to add to my dinner repertoire (or in my uncle's case, breakfast and lunch too). Thanks to my aunt and mom for helping me make these.

Until tomorrow, kindest blogging wishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment