bidverstiser

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday's Recipe - Wacky Cake

A blog about transitioning from a scientist to a stay-at-home-mom wouldn't be the same if it didn't have recipes.  So my goal is every Sunday I will share a recipe either that I have made time and time again or it is one that I've never tried before.  I love a challenge!  If you have a recipe you'd like me to try, please share!  My kitchen is my new "lab" and I love it!

Wacky Cake (slightly modified from my grandmother's recipe)

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 c. water
1 T. apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar)
1 t. vanilla
Whoppers, chocolate chips, Nutella, and/or confectioners sugar... Anything really or nothing

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour an 8in x 8in or an 8in round cake pan. Mix the first five ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Then make a hole in the center and add the oil, water, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix until blended well. Pour into prepared cake pan. Get creative... Sprinkle chocolate chips and/or crushed whoppers on top, swirl in some nutella, or leave it plain. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool. Again, get creative... Dust with confectioners sugar, smear icing on top, use a chocolate sauce, mousse or nothing. Add whatever you feel like. It's your cake.


Next Sunday, my next throw-back recipe will be my grandfather's (who was Russian) Golubtsy which are stuffed cabbage rolls. I haven't had these since I was a kid!

Until tomorrow, kindest blogging wishes!!!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda - last night it was my turn to bring treats for our small group. I was going to run to Walmart to pick something up, but remembered you had posted this and that you had said "you probably already have all these ingredients in your pantry" and sure enough, I did! I whipped this up in literally 10 minutes (even with the "help" of my 2 year old). I couldn't have even loaded up my kids into the car in that amount of time. It was a big hit at small group! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's awesome Erinn!!! I'm so glad you all enjoyed it!!!!!

      Delete