bidverstiser

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

White Cake with Nutella Icing

Baking just so happens to be a great pleasure of mine. Thinking of different ways of making or presenting cakes, such as a Christmas swirl pound cake, is quite exciting but can present some obstacles.

During the Christmas season at work, I wanted to make my friends in our office a Christmas (red and green) swirl pound cake. Now, I had made just the regular pound cake before. I thought I could add red food coloring to the batter before adding the egg whites which I would add green food coloring to. I thought it would be fun and festive. So, I did just that.

I was in my kitchen mixing away, adding this and that. Then as I was mixing the most anticipated parts together I noticed whole thing turned brown! It looked really weird and soupy but I thought, "Aaaa, it will rise." and I put it in the oven.

As I was putting up the ingredients, I realized that through my flurry of excitement of the swirl, I forgot to add flour!!!! I pulled it out really fast, added and stirred in the flour. However, in doing so I deflated my egg whites. Not only did my pound cake not rise, but it was so condensed that is was like a smashed brown cake. A sheer disaster...

I'm sure you're wondering if I took it to work... You bet I did! I had made two cakes, one for work and one for home so I had the opportunity to taste it. It tasted good to me so I took it to work. I was scolded by my friend RR for bring such a mess in the office to share. However, there was one person who liked it and asked for the recipe, though I think he was the only one that enjoyed it. Four years had pasted and my friend RR still questioned my cooking abilities even when I cooked many more items over the years that he enjoyed. I will never live that one down.

Now why am I mentioning that today? Well it's because I did something much similar the other day. I was trying a new cake recipe out and when it came time to add the vanilla extract, I remembered I had a bit of vanilla bean left over. So I added it in and while engrossed by the smell, I failed to realize there were more ingredients to add. I poured my batter in the cake pan and thought, "Wow, this is really thick like brownie batter but it's a new recipe.".

Once in the oven I checked to make sure I added everything. Lo and behold, I left out the milk! I pulled the cake out, added the milk, stirred and put it back in oven. I dreaded the worst when it was done but since it didn't have stiff-peaked egg whites as a rising agent, I did have a little hope.

Forgetting to add the milk for a time had very little affect on the outcome. When it came out of the oven it was really good but to take it a step further, I had to add nutella for good measure. Below is my version of white cake iced with nutella.

White Cake

1 c sugar
1/2 c butter
2 eggs
1/2 in vanilla bean, inside scraped
2 t almond extract
1 1/2 c flour
1 3/4 t baking powder
1/2 c milk (not to be forgotten)

Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Prepare a square 8 x 8 in cake pan by coating with a non-stick spray or with butter then a dusting of flour. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add the vanilla bean scrapping and almond extract and mix. Add flour, baking powder, and milk. Mix it well until all ingredients are incorporated. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until inserted tooth pick comes out clean. Let it cool and add a thin layer of nutella then enjoy.

Of course this is just my version. Remember you can ice it with anything, add chocolate chips, whoppers, mousse or fruit spread or keep it plain. It's your cake, add what you like.

Until next time, kindest blogging wishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment