bidverstiser

Monday, September 24, 2012

Answering the Question, "What do you do all day?"

I was asked yesterday what I do all day after I said I had made our own laundry detergent. Well, at first when I started to stay at home, I fed my boy nonstop it felt like, cleaned, and tried to keep our daughter busy and out of trouble all the while being sleep deprived. Now it's a bit of a different story.

In a previous blog regarding my update, the reduction of our joint income went down but our quality of life has surprisingly increased tremendously! However, my mind is still going a million miles a minute since quitting my job. So I've been keeping busy analyzing the things we buy. Everyday I'm researching different techniques to do or make from real professionals as well as feeding the family, cleaning, schooling, and running (well that last one is a daily struggle).

In my family everyone is mechanically inclined but since I'm a girl, I never really took interest to it until just recently. Now, I do pride myself in the ability to detect a battery problems a few days in advanced just by listening to the turnover time it takes for a car to start or determining the make and model of a car by either the head lights or tail lights, though some cars have proven to be a little more difficult to identify. That's about it though, until... YouTube! Oh yes! That's right!! I learned how to change my cabin and engine air filters! Being so excited, I thought I'd entertain the idea of changing the oil too but I felt that is best left up to professionals who have the tools and do it daily. So the car research stopped there.

Then, there was the laundry detergent that busted me loose on the idea of making more of the stuff I use on a daily basis. My friend posted on Facebook that she had made hers so then again, watched YouTube and there you have it! A years worth of laundry detergent for $9 and the next batch will be only $1 for another year. Next was the fabric softener, dishwasher detergent, anti-static remedies with aluminum foil, shower cleaner, deodorant and I can't forget I learned how to take apart my dryer to clean out the internal lint trap!

So I've tried to do as much by myself for car maintenance and cleaning supplies. Next I turned my attention to food!! Who doesn't like bread?? If you said "Me!", skip to the end... I, for one, love bread! However, in my recent research I thought it would be really cool for my daughter and I to make our own sourbread starter. It was quite similar to growing dendritic cells, a cancer cell line or cloned T cells that I was used to in the lab but I knew it would taste better.

I mixed equal parts of flour and water together covering it with a lid with holes and sat it on the island in our kitchen hoping the right yeast would drop in and take over. After a few feedings, I started to see bubbles like yeast was growing!! My daughter and I were so excited!!! We came back the next day to feed again and an ugly blue mold took over!! We had to toss it out. You can't make good bread with blue mold... Gross. Unfortunately, that was a failed attempt but I'm still researching it and will try again.

Once I have that down it will be deer season and what better way to stock up on meat than going hunting and learning about deer anatomy in the process. Ok... Ok... I might not be able to because my brothers live far away and I don't have anyone I trust enough to go out there with me. It's a good thought though and it's a leaner meat than the cow. Just sayin'...

LlUntil next time,
Kindest blogging wishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment