bidverstiser

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Homemade Cleaners Worth Trying

Staying at home has kept me busy doing what moms do such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc... However, something I never thought I would be doing is making my own household cleaners! Now, don't get me wrong. I do enjoy the convenience of buying the items myself from the store but once my friend told me of how easy it was to make my own laundry detergent, I was on fire! I explored every cleaner I could.

I've made laundry detergent from scratch! A lot of it! Ten gallons to be exact! The recipe I used was from the Dugger's website: (http://duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/duggar-recipe-liquid-laundry-soap.html?m=1. The only issue I have is there is NO smell after the clothes have been cleaned which I prefer to have. However, I spent $10 on raw material and it will last me for 2-3 yrs! I think that's pretty cost effective.

Then I've made fabric softener. I've used several recipes and think the current one is pretty good. You can find the recipe here: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/homemade-fabric-softener.htm. I added probably 20 drops of lemon essential oil and it leaves a subtle smell that's not too strong. I even saw a person using aluminum foil balls to reduce static on clothes. I have not tried that but am interested to see if it works.

The next cleaner I made was originally supposed to be just bathroom cleaner but since it works so well it is now an all purpose cleaner that I can use when my kids are around. My sister- and mother-in-law told me about it. It is just equal parts of Dawn soap and white vinegar! Spray, let sit a bit, scrub a little, and rinse. It's smells like pickles but it goes away after a while.

My most recent struggle is dishwasher detergent. I've tried a few recipes and cloudy dishes have caused me much irritation. The recent one I'm using is definitely better but my Pyrex measuring cups still remain cloudy while the other dishes are squeaky clean. I owe the positive change to Lemi Shine. You can find the recipe here: http://simplydesigning.blogspot.com/2011/05/hard-water-stains-dishwasher-detergent.html?m=1.

You're probably wondering why I'm doing this. Well, it's because I'm trying to reduce the amount of harmful chemicals my little ones are exposed to. Sure I can't reduce all of them but if I can just reduce a few then I'll be happy.

Until next time,
Kindest blogging wishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment