bidverstiser

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Master Bath Redo with Rustoleum - part 1

We have currently been in our beautiful home for a little over a year now. The previous owners did an incredible job updating out-dated features of the house. They added crown moulding, granite counter tops, changed out brass fixtures with oil rubbed bronze fixtures. These are just touching on the things they put their hearts into. However, one room stood out to me that needed attention. It was the master bathroom.

The master bathroom had brass and silver fixtures. Most notably to me was the brass shower frame that loudly greeted me as I approached the bathroom. I desperately wanted the style of the rest of the house with the oil rubbed bronze to be consistent with the master bath. So my research began. I found a lady who did this exact thing. Kristi at Addicted to Decorating had posted about this (http://www.addicted2decorating.com/john-alices-master-bathroom-the-reveal.html). She redecorated a master bathroom with Rust-o-leum! She soon became my hero!!

If you are wanting to do a project like this, please stop at Kristi's site for more specifics.  I used her advice and technique and encourage you as well.  I first started out with the sink fixtures because I thought they would be the easiest. However, they are quite curvy and I did not get all parts of the fixtures so I had to go back and touch up some spots. Really the one piece of advice I can give in a project like this is tape, tape, tape!!! You can never ever use too much unless you tape on the fixture. If you do get some residue on the counters, floor, wall, or anything you did not intend to paint, steel wool is your best friend! My heart sank when I realized my prepping work was not good enough but you would never know looking at it!

I've attached some before and after pictures on the sink side of the bathroom. Part two will have the shower and bathtub.

Until next time,
Kindest blogging wishes!!!


Master Bathroom before we purchased the house.




Fixtures were sanded, wiped, prepped, primed, and painted.
Fixtures completed and hardware added to cabinets.
Final product.  My awesome sister-in-law added her skills in decorating.
The chair however is not staying but it was helpful in the process.

Final product on the sink side.



No comments:

Post a Comment